Jones of the Nile

Monday, July 02, 2007

Yippee-Ki-Yay, mother******

So Slate.com (which was way better back in like 2004, in my opinion) has an article assessing some of the best one-liners in movie history. While they don't rank them, the article focuses pretty heavily on Bruce Willis' big line from the first Die Hard movie: Yippee-Ki-Yay, motherfucker! Ugh.

Here's the explanation of why this line is so important in film history...

When terrorist-slash-exceptional thief Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) taunts hero John McClane (Bruce Willis), "Who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child?" and asks this "Mr. Cowboy" if he really thinks he stands a chance, McClane's answer—"Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker"—marks the moment that McClane, an everyman, assumes the mantle of America's archetypal heroes: Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Gunsmoke's Marshall Dillon, and others who have been so vital to American boyhood. Unlike the many action-movie one-liners that are rooted in the hero's narcissism, McClane's stems from our collective wish-fulfillment. He is not referring to himself, not suggesting an "I" or a "me" but an us. And considering the European Gruber's appreciation of fashion, finance, and the classics, McClane's comeback acquires an additional subtext: Our pop culture can beat up your high culture.

Wow...does anyone else get the feeling that George W. Bush's entire foreign policy is based on this line?

I digress...I wouldn't rank this up there with the best one-liners ever. Not that I have a "best week ever" list or anything. But off the top of my head I can think of a few that I like a lot more...

Blue Velvet: Heineken? Fuck that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon! (Editor's Note: That's for Heather.)

A Few Good Men: You can't handle the truth!

They Live: I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass - and I'm all out of bubble gum.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've said it before, and I'll say it again, no more fucking ABBA!

Anyway, a light posting to start the week off. Off to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home