Jones of the Nile

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Go, mama, go go go!

To say that I'm looking forward to seeing the new film adaptation of Hairspray is a bit of an understatement. You know those people who camp out to buy Nintendo Wiis or I-Phones? Well, that's my relationship with film adaptations of musicals.

Dreamgirls? Check.

Chicago? Check.

Evita? Check.

Rent? Not yet...the musical was just such a huge part of my growing up and coming out, that I haven't brought myself to check out the movie yet. Or maybe it's Rosario Dawson.

So with Hairspray I'm really looking forward to getting my Tracy on. Check out a review for the movie on Towleroad. Andy Towle was able to catch a sneak preview last week, and gave his two thumbs up. He even quells any concern that John Travolta might be unbearable as Edna Turnblad.

July 20 won't come soon enough :) Oh, and for JR the Otter, who told me a few weeks ago that (I'm paraphrasing), "Your blog is really interesting to read, but it tells me nothing about your life," here's some Mike Jones trivia. The last five songs I've listened to on my I-Pod were from Hairspray. The song before that was Natalie Cole. What can I say...she ended my melancholy phase and allowed me to transition into musicals. Next I'll probably move on to Wicked, much to the chagrin of my friends who convulse at Broadway tunes.

These, of course, do not count the times I go to the gym, when it's all dance, all the time. Jenna Drey is my latest taste of the month within the confines of the Boston Sports Center.

Anyway, this one's for those who are looking for a peak inside my music sensibilities. I imagine my reputation just went down among the lot of you :)

3 Comments:

  • I never knew you were into show tunes. Cher and Madonna, sure. But musicals? No idea.

    You would SO love my boss.

    By Blogger Mags, at 6:56 PM  

  • "I never knew you were into show tunes. Cher and Madonna, sure. But musicals?"

    Uh, as you would have said circa 2002 in the land of CNY, "I mean..." Cher and Madonna practically are show tunes! Now maybe if I was into System of a Down or Slipknot, you'd have a point. :)

    Kidding, Mags. Hope you are doing well. I've got to get out to the Bay Area soon.

    By Blogger MikeJ, at 12:37 PM  

  • Um, HELLO. Yes. You do need to get out here.

    Or I out there.

    You know, whatevs.

    By Blogger Mags, at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home