Jones of the Nile

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

It's nice to be New Jersey?

I heard on the news this morning that London has just been given the 2012 Olympic games. Good for them! I mean, it's no Tehran, but I think they'll be a good host. New Yorkers are going to be hot, though...they wanted these games something fierce.

Their neighbor New Jersey, however, has something to cheer about. Did you know that all this week is "National Be Nice to New Jersey Week?" It's true...it's listed as just one of the crazy ass holidays between July 4th and Labor Day in this column by Jeff Edelstein at The Trentonian. God, asking me to be nice to New Jersey is like asking me to give up chocolate for Lent - nice in theory, but completely impractical.

Other whack holidays for this gap between July 4 and Labor Day are listed here, but some of my favorites are: July 6 (today!) is National Fried Chicken Day; July 13 is Embrace Your Geekness Day (isn't that everyday?!); July 14 is National Nude Day (again, isn't that everyday?!); and August 8 is Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day.

Who thinks up these things? Anyway, you can also check out what "holiday" falls on your birthday here. My birthday, November 5, happens to be Gunpowder Day. Damn, and I was hoping it would be Blow up Your Enemies with Bombs and Missiles Day.

Oh wait...now that's everyday!

1 Comments:

  • Aww, mine's all boring Christmasy shit. Boo.

    By Blogger Mags, at 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home