Jones of the Nile

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Guilty pleasures

So in an email conversation the other day between three friends of mine from Grad school (one in the Bay Area, one in Maryland, and one in NYC), the conversation of guilty music pleasures came up. For example, did you know that Mags at You Forgot Poland has Hilary Duff's "Metamorphosis" on her i-pod?

Similarly, JR at JR the Otter has "Picture" by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow. And Sweet Machine? You wouldn't believe it, but she jams to "Waiting for a Star to Fall" by Boy Meets Girl. There's also Tumerica, who swoons to Anne Murray's "Shadows in the Moonlight." And then don't get me started on what The Mighty Red Pen listens to. Word has it that she has Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl" on constant rotation on her i-tunes.

Kidding. I made all of those up. Or if I got any of them right, it was only by a matter of coincidence.

I'm also hardly one to judge, because I love guilty pleasures. I came across Run for Your Life! The 50-worst Songs of All-Time, from Blender. I'm almost embarrassed (read that as eccentrically proud!) that most of these songs I have on either tape, CD, as an i-tune, or all three. So of all the bad songs Blender lists, here are the ones that I've been known to jam to, dance in the shower to, or plan figure skating routines to (don't judge).

My Heart Will Go On, by Celine Dion

I'm Too Sexy, Right Said Fred

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, The Beatles

Hangin' Tough, New Kids on the Block

I'd Do Anything for Love, but I Won't Do That, Meatloaf (Side note: I'm particularly mortified of this one.)

We Didn't Start the Fire, Billy Joel

I Wanna Sex You Up, Color Me Badd

She Bangs, Ricky Martin

Greatest Love of All, Whitney Houston (side note: I was in chorus in 5th and 6th Grade, and I actually had to sing Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time." Rarely does anything in my life match that high point.)

Your Body is a Wonderland, John Mayer

You're the Inspiration, Chicago

What's Up, 4-Non Blondes

From a Distance, Bette Midler

Invisible, Clay Aiken (Side note: OK, I guess if you have to top Meatloaf, Clay Aiken would be the next logical step. I'm starting to regret this post. Please don't abandon me as friends after reading this.)

Don't Worry Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin

The Heart of Rock n Roll, Huey Lewis and the News (Side Note: Huey Lewis is not bad. Come on. Cut the guy some slack. There's nary an 80s song that can match their "Power of Love.")

Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice

And finally, the #1 worst song according to Blender, and also buried somewhere in a box of mix tapes I have lurking around my apartment....

We Built this City, Starship

I totally feel pretty uncool right now. I'll just keep telling myself to "Embrace the nerdiness,"....

5 Comments:

  • Aren't Huey Lewis and the News and Starship San Francisco-based bands?

    Do you know if Journey's on that list? I got so much crap from our other Newhouse classmates about the fact that I like that band.

    By Blogger Mags, at 2:23 PM  

  • Journey is not on the list, which is great news. I heart Journey, too. "Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it, anyway you want it...." So you can wear your Journey love with pride.

    Europe, however, is on the list. "The Final Countdown." Remember how you saw them in concert?

    By Blogger MikeJ, at 2:41 PM  

  • "Remember how you saw them in concert?"

    Ooh, Jonsey. You will pay for that one.

    By Blogger Mags, at 3:53 PM  

  • Oh yeah, so I sort of riffed off your post on my blog. Check it out.

    By Blogger Mags, at 3:53 PM  

  • Don't you dare write "Tumerica" and "Anne Murray" in the same sentence--arrgghhh! As a former vocalist (think cheesy, smoky bars in Tokyo with a piano accompaniment), I do admit to an enjoyment of Doris Day. In fact, while we are getting all confessional here, I think Doris Day ROCKED! Just listen to her sexy (yes, sexy and Doris Day in one sentence) sound on "Bewitched" or "Our Love Is Here to Stay." I wanted to sound just like her--not look like her, naturally. She could not help being so corn-fed Barbie doll-looking. It was the lush voice and excellent phrasing. When I was a leetle girl, I also admit to liking (this is hard to say) Karen Carpenter. So there. She actually did have good chops. Before she stopped eating.

    By Blogger BroderWriter, at 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home