Jones of the Nile

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Around the world mishmash

So I've been trying to figure out something to write for about 50 minutes now, staring blankly at my computer screen while the energy slowly leaks out of my body (and out of my laptop's battery). I can't think of any unifying theme here, but three things caught my eye.

The first is a quote from Abraham Heschel, long one of my favorite spiritual thinkers, gurus, and cool happenin' guys. Especially for someone who died 35 years ago. Here's the quote: “When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.”

The second is a quote from Annie Dillard, long one of my favorite writers, eco-friendly thinkers, and all-around nice ladies. (I've never met her.) Here's the quote: "There is no shortage of good days. It is good lives that are hard to come by."

The third is from Alice Walker, who tangentially just performed on my iPod a few moments ago. ('twas a song from The Color Purple on Broadway. Don't judge!) Here's her quote: "Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book. If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for?"

That last line particularly got me...If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for? I need to sleep on that quote, I think. I'm kind of a nerd like that. But Joan Didion once said that when she gets close to finishing a good book, she has to sleep alone in a room with it.

I like Joan Didion, but I hope I'm not that weird. Still, do you ever just read something and know it resonates, even if you can't articulate why?

OK, enough rambling thoughts for the night. All of the coffee I consumed today has seeped from my veins, so it's time to transition into crash mode. Have a great night!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home