Jones of the Nile

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Robbing from the rich to give to the rich

I don't like beating up on people like Barbra Streisand, because there's already an entire television network devised to do so (hello, Fox News). But I nearly laid an egg when I saw how much Babs was charging for concert tickets over in Europe.

Ticket prices range from just under 50 euros (about $73) to more than 900 euros (about $1,315). However, the cheapest tickets have already sold out.

Several Italian groups are calling for her shows to be canceled, or at least booted from the public venue they're scheduled to be held at. They call the ticket prices "absurd and shameful." That's what I'd say about those split ends!

But it does crank my chain to see progressive celebrities charge more than college tuition to attend their shows. You don't see Joan Baez charging $1,300 a pop for her shows! Perhaps that's because she has integrity, rather than hollow convictions! Even if they won't let her play in Walter Reed Medical Hospital.

Babs, u2, Madonna...I applaud their social activism, but I hope they see the disconnect between what they practice, and what they preach.

2 Comments:

  • MikeJ, that IS surprising. You'd expect to see some effort to donate a portion of the proceeds to this or that cause--at the very least. Wow! A year's tuition for a high-end ticket. Hate to be a cynic, but Babs CAN charge those prices--she never grants an appearance any more, she's richer than God, lots of die-hard fans who would kill to see her--it has all the makings of a spectacle. But I still can't figure out where the humanitarian side has gone. I'm saddened.

    By Blogger BroderWriter, at 10:35 AM  

  • "I don't like beating up on people like Barbra Streisand"...I don't know, Dad, you whine quite a bit when Babs ever plays on Eric's iPod...!

    By Blogger Frida, at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home