Jones of the Nile

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Of Judges and Pop Stars

Australian High Court Judge Praises Anthony Callea.

There's two reasons to click on this link. The first is to read this quote in context: "I'd trade 10 judges for one pop star."

The second is because I met the High Court Justice in reference, Justice Michael Kirby, and he's quite a nice man. I saw him address an audience full of lawyers and judges at the Bombay High Court, in a speech that urged India's High Court to strike down the country's anti-sodomy law.

Cool to see an openly gay judge, too, sitting on Australia's High Court. I hear he deals with all sorts of political bullshit on the Court, but kudos to him for still speaking out. Imagine a SCOTUS justice being fully out! My God, if Sam Brownback will withhold someone's nomination just for attending a same-sex commitment ceremony, imagine how apeshit he'd go if a gay person was nominated to the bench.

Add that to the list of things I want to see in my lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home