Jones of the Nile

Saturday, November 05, 2005

More talk about certainty

For those who really dig reading about spirituality, faith and politics, you should definitely check out the writing of Sr. Joan Chittister. I don't know anyone else today who ties it all together like she does. If you click on the link above, it will take you to her latest column in her "From Where I Stand" series, published by National Catholic Reporter. Her writing is progressive and accessible, I think, for people who get queasy at the mention of religion.

Anyway, I'm reading an old book of hers, "Seeing With Our Souls," and I came across a quote she used from writer Walter Lippman in a chapter on humility. Here's her take:

    Walter Lippman calls humility, "the saving doubt of our own certainty." In fact, are we ever more wrong than when we are certain we are right? Humility allows us the sliver of possibility that we may still learn something.
Are we ever more wrong than when we are certain we are right? Does a certain president of the United States come to mind after reading that question? Do a million television commentators? We're certain Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, we're certain that war is the right answer to defeat terrorism, we're certain peace can only be achieved and maintained by violence.

I don't feel so certain anymore. Maybe that's why this President and his administration are failing. Can you even detect an ounce of humility in anyone who works at the White House? Leadership isn't all about twisting arms and bravado. It's about learning from mistakes; or more importantly, having enough humility to know that we're all apt to make them.

Sr. Joan writes in another part of her book:

    "I always wonder why it is that we ask whether a candidate for the presidency is tough enough to push the nuclear button but we never ask if they are strong enough not to."
Food for thought, I guess, though I don't expect that question to be addressed by any politician in my lifetime.

And then there's this story, and anyone who's read this blog more than three times knows that I love me some stories. Here goes:

    A seeker searched for years to know the secret of achievement and success in human life. One night in a dream a Sage appeared bearing the answer to the secret.

    The Sage said simply, "Stretch out your hand and reach what you can."

    "No, it can't be that simple," the seeker said.

    And the Sage said softly, "You are right, it is something harder. It is this: Stretch out your hand and reach what you cannot."
To me that's vision - because knowing that it can't be that simple requires a whole heck of a lot of humility.

All right, enough talk of humility and certainty from me. The word 'certainty' has appeared so much in this blog over the last two days, I might as well change the name of this thing to "Certainty of the Nile." But I won't.

I will, though, go on with my day in a good space, grateful for this story. It's also my 27th birthday today, so I've got 27 years to be grateful for.

Hmm...I hate to make this blog any longer, but now that I brought up birthdays, an example of humility came to mind. A good friend of mine who I've unfortunately lost touch with (my fault - I have issues) would, as a way of celebrating his birthday, send flowers to his mom. I used to think that was just sentimental, but now I see it as more than that. I see it as a recognition that, despite the pomp and circumstance, humble people know that birthdays are more about the people we share our lives with, than the attention of aging another year.

Have a great Saturday, all.

1 Comments:

  • Happy Birthday Mike!!! Love and miss you!!!

    By Blogger Mags, at 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home