Jones of the Nile

Friday, October 28, 2005

The spirit of Rosa Parks

If I'm going to let the likes of Geena Davis, Harriet Miers and Andy Rooney grace this blog, I ought to be pummeled if I don't give space to someone who actually deserves it: Rosa Parks. She died this past week, though as Rosa herself once said, "Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others."

Here's an article written by Coretta Scott King and Bernice King, Rosa Parks, a spirit 'sent to us by God'. If God sends us spirits, I sure hope one gets sent to replace this woman.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a vacancy of truly prophetic leadership these days. And I'm not talking about politicians, who by the very nature of politics have their prophetic-edge stripped from them in their first days in office. I mean the people like Rosa Parks, Cesar Chavez, Shirley Chisholm - who speak not from academia or public opinion polls, but people who speak from the heart because of life experience.

Is Cindy Sheehan as good as it gets these days?

RIP, Rosa. And have a great weekend, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home