Jones of the Nile

Friday, July 22, 2005

Amidst the storm...

Need a 10-minute vacation from work, from kids, from your personal life, or from the Bush administration? Try this online meditation from psychologist and Buddhist Tara Brach. Go ahead, shut that office door (or pretend to, if you work in a cubicle).

This is courtesy of www.beliefnet.org, which is (I think) the Web's most popular faith-based site. It sounds scary, looking at its web address, but it's actually quite cool. In addition to Tara's meditation, they have a peace meditation from Thich Naht Hanh; a meditation on the environment; meditations on centering prayer; and a meditation to help you connect with the divine feminine. You can view all their meditations here. You could literally spend your whole day meditating!

Just make sure if you light any candles, you blow them out when you're done...

At any rate, I vouch for Tara Brach's meditation. She's a great woman who I met three years ago protesting the Iraq war across from The White House. At that time she directed the Washington, DC Buddhist Peace Fellowship, but I'm not sure she's still in that capacity. Either way, she's a rock, and an inspiration.

Have a great weekend, everyone. I'm off to Baltimore, so see you on Tuesday.

1 Comments:

  • Hello Jones of the Nile,

    This is Jess, best friend of Passin of the Ottoman Empire. I'm going to be in Erie either this weekend or next -- somewhere I never managed to go while Laura actually lived there, but my boyfriend is also a hometown boy and we're going to go visit his mom. I'd love to meet up, since I've heard so many stories about you that I feel as though we've actually met BUT WE HAVEN'T. Can I get your number from L.?

    By Blogger jess, at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home