Jones of the Nile

Sunday, July 17, 2005

This has to be a sign of Armageddon

I thought maybe the sky was falling, or hell was freezing over, when I read this story from The Advocate which 'outs' Robert Traynham, Sen. Rick Santorum's Communications Director and a former deputy chief of staff for the Senate Republican Conference.
I have no problem with gay Republicans. I disagree with them, but I don't necessarily see them as oxymorons, like some folks do. I do, however, find it hard to digest that an openly gay person could justify working for Sen. Rick Santorum. I mean, it's one thing to agree with Sen. Santorum's positions on trade, or social security, or gun rights. But come on...the Senator thinks GLBT people are on par with those who have sex with animals, serial killers, and pedophiles. How could any sane gay person stomach working for someone with that philosophy?

I don't know...my guess is that Robert Traynham walks around with a whole lot of emotional baggage.

But what the hell do I know? Sen. Santorum released this statement about all the attention being shown to his staffer's sexuality:

    "Robert Traynham has worked for me for eight years; the last four as a member of my leadership staff as deputy chief of staff for the Senate Republican Conference. He recently returned to my personal office and is now communications director for me. He is widely respected and admired on Capitol Hill, both among the press corps and among the congressional staff, as a communications professional. Not only is Mr. Traynham an exemplary staffer, but he is also a trusted friend and confidant to me and my family. Mr. Traynham is a valued member of my staff, and I regret that this effort on behalf of people who oppose me has made him a target of bigotry in their eyes."

    The senator added, "It is entirely unacceptable that my staff’s personal lives are considered fair game by partisans looking for arguments to bolster my opponent's campaign. Mr. Traynham continues to have my full support and confidence as well as my prayers as he navigates this rude and mean-spirited invasion of his personal life."

What the fuck?! It's entirely unacceptable for Sen. Santorum's staff to have their personal lives considered fair game, yet Sen. Santorum makes it his political duty to legislate the personal lives of millions of GLBT individuals? Talk about hypocrisy!

But I do sympathize with Robert Traynham on one account...anyone who's the object of Sen. Rick Santorum's personal prayers deserves at least some compassion.

1 Comments:

  • well, this is probably the No. 1 gay dude in America who has experienced Santorum in all forms! bwhaahaah!!! (Read Savage Love...)

    By Blogger The Overeducated Beggar, at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home