Jones of the Nile

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Bad Body Shop

I got this note yesterday from Jewish Voice for Peace, a San Francisco-based organization, who according to their Web site are "dedicated to the rights of Jews, Palestinians, and all peoples in the Middle East." I think I'm down with that.

Anyway, they're circulating one of these online letter-writing campaigns to the muckety-mucks who run The Body Shop, because The Body Shop is planning to open a store on confiscated land just north of Jerusalem. You can check out their take action page here, which is where you can send a letter to The Body Shop encouraging them not to build on the confiscated land. This page will also give much better context than I ever could on why it's bad for The Body Shop to build a store on confiscated land. I understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict about as much as I understand thermonuclear physics.

They point out that The Body Shop is a particularly good company, socially-speaking, and has done some very progressive things. Which makes it all the more sad that they're willing to open up this can of worms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home