Jones of the Nile

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Students against....

Drunk-driving? The unethical treatment of animals? More Ben Affleck movies?

Nope, this time around its Students Against Genocide, and they've got the workings of a great grassroots campaign underway. This was organized by a group of Claremont College students (not being from that area, I'm not really sure I understand the Claremont set-up...it sounds like a coalition of schools in the area, or something. I don't know. I was in Claremont once, and the place was being torched by wild fires).

Anyway, this group of students are raising awareness of the genocide in Sudan by selling T-shirts nationwide. All profits from the T-shirts go to relief groups working to end the violence and conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan.

I know, T-shirts won't end genocide. (If they did, we'd be set, because I have like three dozen gym shirts from high school that still fit me, and tons of T-shirts from losing political campaigns that I've participated in.) But it's great to see people, especially college students, organizing and doing whatever they can to stop this madness. Like Wangari Maathai says, when the hummingbird is trying to put out the forest fire, it's only response can be, "I'm doing what I can."

1 Comments:

  • I totally want one. Did I mention my birthday is coming up soon?

    By Blogger Mags, at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home