Jones of the Nile

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I admit it...I clapped, too

A friend of mine gets all hot and bothered when people clap in a movie theater. "It's not like they can hear you," she says, "It's a freakin' movie!"

Usually I'd agree with her. But yesterday, on Christmas, I was among the first in line to go see "Dreamgirls," the new movie with Beyonce Knowles, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, and of course, Jennifer Hudson, of American Idol fame. And dammit, if the entire movie theater (myself included) didn't burst into applause after Jennifer Hudson sings "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going," halfway through the movie. (it's the song she's singing in the picture at the right.)

That girl can sing. And this may just be the best song in movie history. Better than "Cellblock Tango," from Chicago. Better than "Singin' in the Rain," from, uh, Singin' in the Rain. Better than "Summer Lovin'" from Grease. Even better than "Suddenly Seymour," from Little Shop of Horrors, which I have to admit retains a very sweet space of property in my heart :)

So go see Ms. Hudson sing. Then in a few months, watch her pick up the Oscar. 'Cause this girl can blow a tune.

For a good review of "Dreamgirls," go here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home