Jones of the Nile

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sexist preacher alert

Want to send a point to sexist preachers who fire 81-year old women from teaching Sunday School, because they say the Bible doesn't permit women to teach men? Send an email to Tim LaBouf.

LaBouf (pictured second from the left), the pastor at Watertown (NY) First Baptist Church, just fired Mary Lambert, an 81-year-old woman who taught Sunday School for more than 50 years, not because of anything related to her performance -- he fired her because of 1 Timothy 2:11-14.

According to LaBouf, First Timothy suggests that "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. God does not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."

This is so ridiculous, I almost don't know where to begin. First, my condolences to Tim LaBouf's wife, if he's married. You must have a great deal of patience, Mrs. LaBouf.

Second, my condolences to the people of Watertown, who have to deal with someone bedrocked in a theology from the 17th century. Not only is LaBouf a pastor in the community, he also sits on the Watertown City Council. (His email is published on this page, so I figure it's fair game to send him a note! Ironically, I don't see any women on the council...)

If LaBouf has children, does this mean that he'll never let them learn from a female teacher? Does he make women enter his Church through a separate entrance? Are they even allowed to show up during certain periods of the month, if they're menstruating?

I know that LaBouf is just over-reacting....and he's doing so because he's already lost this battle. Women are becoming a bigger influence in faith communities (though there are still miles upon miles to cross), and human rights issues pertaining to women have made their way onto the world agenda like never before. We might even have a woman president in 2008, in which case I imagine LaBouf will probably stop saying the "Pledge of Allegiance" before city council meetings.

But just when you think we've crossed a threshold, the head of oppression pops its head up again. It's kind of like "whack-a-mole," as John McCain might say, and it may just take a community of people to cry out and put LaBouf back in his place.

Anyway, send LaBouf a note if you want. Or take his email and sign him up for updates from Future Church, Call to Action, or The Religious Institute for Sexual Morality, Justice and Healing (or others sites that you might know!).

5 Comments:

  • Watertown? Didn't we used to live by there? Don't even get me started on UPNY.

    This is so utterly ridiculous. I had to write about it on my blog too. Gave you props.

    By Blogger Mags, at 4:56 PM  

  • Long time no type, eh? I'll be certain to send Mr. Le Doof my regards.

    By Blogger Jet, at 5:24 PM  

  • Mags, we certainly did live near Watertown...about 60 miles away. I think it's as far north as you can go without driving into Lake Ontario.

    Jet, yes, i am back and blogging! I needed a few months to recharge. Thanks for sending Mr. LeBouf your greetings...I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear them!

    By Blogger MikeJ, at 6:42 PM  

  • Thanks for the comment on my blog; I appreciate the support. I read the article you blogged about and was thoroughly and utterly disgusted that men are digressing to such archane ways of thinking. Last I checked it was 2006 and women have made considerable contributions to society as they always have.

    Instead of blasting Mr. Le Doof as Jet called him, I'll be sure to push myself that much more to make one hell of an impact on society and push my daughter to do the same. Hell, I'll round up all my female friends and we can visit Mr. Le Doof; I'm quite familiar with Watertown, NY. I'm sure we can show him a thing or two.

    Last comment, I wonder what his mother thinks of his decision????

    By Blogger Blu Jewel, at 8:28 PM  

  • Well, leave it to the media to do a lousy job of it. Here’s what I found out. Is it even surprising anymore that the story is different in actuality that it was trumped up in the media? I wrote the pastor directly and HE WROTE ME BACK. He was cordial and explained “the rest of the story,” which you can read more detail on it here (http://www.nnyinfo.com/firstbaptist/statement.htm). But to summarize:

    • Ms. Lambert was not teaching children, she had an adult class and she was not employed by the church

    • In May of this year, she hired a lawyer and was threatening a lawsuit against the church because she was not happy with the growing church. (When I arrived at the church there were about 18 members we now minister to around 200.)

    • 87% of our Sunday school teachers are female and 55% of the positions on our board are women

    • Ms. Lambert and a small group or others decided to forgo the mechanisms that we have in place for dealing with conflicts or disagreements within the church and elected to hire a local attorney and aired their grievances in a letter to the Watertown Daily Times in which they discussed their unhappiness with the church

    • The board then reprimanded those individuals and encouraged her to pursue her grievances through the usual channels within the church. The group continued with their lawsuit.

    • Ms. Lambert was fired by the Diaconate board

    • We had originally intended to include the various multifaceted reasons for the dismissal in our corresponce about the firing, however after legal review, it was recommended that we refrain from including issues that could be construed as slander and stick with “spiritual issues” that govern a church, which the courts have historically stayed out of.

    • I believe, based on the consistent teaching of scripture that there are qualifications for both men and women teaching spiritual matters within the church. These qualifications do not mean that one is superior or more important than another, it only means that God has a special plan for each of us in accomplishing His work within the church setting.

    • I believe that a woman can perform any job and fulfill any responsibility that she desires to

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

    Nothing at all like it was advertised, folks. We’ve been bilked by the media–for our time and our attention–just to make a buck. Now that’s what’s truly a shame. LaBouf’s being lambasted loudly and unjustly. I apologized to the pastor for posting about how wretched I thought he was when I was buying the media's incomplete and misleading version of the story.

    By Blogger BroderWriter, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home