Jones of the Nile

Monday, February 06, 2006

Run, Patty, Run...

I still try to keep current on Minnesota politics, even though I haven't lived in Minnesota for nearly four years. When I worked on Sen. Paul Wellstone's 2002 re-election campaign, I met so many good people, and good politicians, who brought such vision, leadership and progressive values to the table.

One of those great people is Patty Wetterling, who I'm delighted to hear is going to run for Congress in Minnesota's 6th Congressional District. She ran in 2004 against Rep. Mark Kennedy, a well-financed entrenched Republican who received White House support coming out the wazzoo. This time, however, Rep. Kennedy is instead running for the open Senate seat (being vacated by Sen. Mark Dayton), leaving the 6th District a toss-up race.

The 6th District was my home, and I traveled almost every road from Stillwater to St. Cloud. I went to hunting fairs, county fairs, fourth of July parades, retirement centers, community festivals, and God knows how many other countless events. I ate cheese curds in the 6th district for the first time. I also bought one of my most prized garage sale purchases ever (Amy Grant's first album, in very good condition!) in the 6th district.

It's also probably the most conservative district in Minnesota, bursting at the seams with evangelicals, suburban trolls, and NRA members attached at the hip with the GOP. Ugh. So Patty needs many good wishes sent her way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home