Jones of the Nile

Friday, February 03, 2006

Give out roses

I got a review copy of a new book from Pace e Bene Nonviolence Service called Engage: Exploring Nonviolent Living, and inside is just the most beautiful poem by South African performance artist Mzwakhe Mbuli.

In light of the recent deaths of Coretta Scott King and Rosa Parks, two women who seemed to champion the spirit in this poem, it seems appropriate to share. Have hope.

    Now is the time
    To climb up the mountain
    And reason against habit.
    Now is the time.

    Now is the time
    To renew the barren soil of nature
    Ruined by the winds of tyranny.
    Now is the time.

    Now is the time
    To commence the litany of hope.
    Now is the time.

    Now is the time
    To give me roses, not to keep them
    For my grave to come.

    Give them to me while my heart beats,
    Give them today
    While my heart yearns for jubilee.
    Now is the time...

1 Comments:

  • If you're interested in learning more about the book that this poem is from please check out this website: www.EngageNonviolence.org

    By Blogger lindsay, at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home